The Learning Gate Community School Chapter of National Junior Honor Society strives to celebrate phenomenal students who have demonstrated passion, determination, and commitment to academics, leadership, character, service, and citizenship. Each of these pillars are equally important to the foundation and structure of NJHS. It is an honor and a privilege to be a part of the Honor Society, not a right.
Upon acceptance to the LGCS chapter, students are held to a high standard of responsibility, and expected to go above and beyond in their academic and social lives. Students are expected to
- Maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Complete a minimum of 10 community service hours independently
- Complete at least 1 whole group service project per semester
- Attend monthly meetings (Held on the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 3:30-4:30)
- Seek out opportunities to be in a leadership position, whether that’s in classroom activities or other clubs/sports
- Uphold a behavioral standard of no infractions during the school year
Please note that failure to comply with these expectations result in being put on a probation period, and if the situation is not remedied within a grading period, the student will be removed from National Junior Honor Society.
Students involved in NJHS work hard, therefore they have the opportunities to play hard as well. Being committed to improving oneself and their community is a reward, but our chapter of NJHS offers opportunities for students to experience things they may not have been exposed to otherwise. For example, we were afforded the opportunity to work with the Tampa Bay Lightning in bringing a virtual reality game to life in an exciting field trip.
If a student is interested in joining our chapter of the National Junior Honor Society, they must meet the following requirements:
- Be in the 2nd semester of 6th grade or higher
- Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher in core subjects
- (Community service is defined as service provided by students outside of the normal school day. It can be service conducted at school, such as help with after care or student council as they take place outside of scheduled class time.)
- Have 3 recommendations from Learning Gate Staff (think previous or current teachers)
- Be able to demonstrate that they have held at least one leadership role in the school or community
- Complete an essay describing various character traits
Invitations to apply are based solely on academics, but it is up to the student to complete the other requirements in order to be considered for acceptance.
I love being a member of NJHS because I get to lead tours, meet new people and introduce them to all the fun things they can do at Learning Gate. I love bring people together and volunteering with NJHS this is a wonderful opportunity to do that. I was pretty shy before I came to Learning Gate but now I feel that I can really be myself.
Grace D (Class of 2023)
Being a member of National Junior Honor Society is a great honor. I love helping people and NJHS gives me many opportunities to volunteer and do what I love.
Kyle M (Class of 2022)